No matter our age or experience, taking an exam still sends ‘chills’ up your back! For
this NV contractor I find a ‘cool’ way to meet their goal. I share some insight on
reciprocity from state to state, and help another contractor understand the license
options on an unexpected departure…

Q: Our company has a “C-21” (Air Conditioning and Refrigeration) license in Nevada.
Our qualifying party left the company recently and we are on the hunt within our
organization to find someone to take over as the Qualifier. One of our employees
previously held a “C-21B” contractor’s license for his previous company. Will that work
for us to designate him and he would not be required to take exams?
A: The full “C-21”has a different trade exam than the “C-21B” alone, therefore if you
wanted him to qualify the full “C-21”, he would be required to obtain references certifying
his experience in the other sub-categories of the “C-21” (refrigeration, sheet, boilers, and
industrial piping), and pass the “C-21” exam. If your company doesn’t need the other
sub-categories and only does air conditioning work, you can use him as the Qualifier
and when applying to add him, request that the NSCB “downgrade” your license from
a “C-21” to a “C-21B”.

Q: I have what I think is probably a silly question: do contractor’s licenses translate
from State to State? For example, if we have an employee who has an AZ license, can
we use that license in CA?
A: I am only familiar with CA, NV, and AZ. There is a reciprocal agreement between the
three that can make it easier to obtain a license, however contractor’s licenses are not
automatically recognized from State to State. Each State has their own requirements, so
you are required to go through the licensing process in each State.

Q: Our current Qualifier is wanting to be removed from our license and one of our
Officers is planning to take over as Responsible Managing Officer (RMO) on the license.
However, we had originally applied for the license a year and a half ago with that
Officer as the Qualifier and the CSLB rejected her experience. Since we were in a hurry
to obtain the license, rather than have her gather the requested items, we hired our
current Qualifier, who was already licensed. With the understanding now that it may
take several months for our Officer to go through the approval process, we are
considering hiring another licensed contractor in the meantime. How should we
A: That’s up to you. Once your current Qualifier disassociates, you have an automatic
90 days to replace him. If you submit the application for your Officer to become the
Qualifier and the approval and testing process is looking like it’s going to take more
than 90 days, you can request a one-time 90-day extension. Six months is usually ample
time to complete the replacement process. However, if you want to play it completely
safe, you can hire another licensed contractor to act as the Qualifier in the interim. For
this option, you would need to complete the process of putting the already licensed
Qualifier on your license, and then once complete, submit the application for your
Officer to take over.

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get
expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email,
or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 3609 Bradshaw Rd, Ste H, #343, Sacramento, CA
95827. Search past columns at