It takes ‘two to tango’ but only one can qualify a license if they make the grade! Another contracting business buyer wants to charge up his opportunity with a new license if he can pass the test in time, while I wrap with some ‘perspective’…

Q: Our Qualifier just turned in his resignation. We have gone through getting a new Qualifier several times in the past couple of years and we are ready to step up and have myself and the other Partner take the exams and have Responsible Managing Officer’s (RMO) rather than Responsible Managing Employee’s (RME), since we aren’t going anywhere anytime soon! Should we both apply to replace the previous Qualifier and then whoever passes the exams first, become the new Qualifier? Or what is the process?

A: You cannot both apply to replace the previous qualifier at the same time. You could have one of you apply to replace the qualifier, while the other applies for a Sole Proprietor license. That would allow you to both take the exams and then whoever passes first can take over as the qualifier.

Q: I am buying a business and in order for the deal to close, I need to have a license number in hand. With that in mind, the Seller offered to be my Qualifier for a period of time to speed up the license issuance process. He currently has a “C-7” (Low Voltage) license. I have electrical experience and my goal is to have a “C-10” (Electrical) license. What is the process for changing the license to my name and changing the license type from Low Voltage to Electrical? The seller doesn’t want to stay on the license for very long.

A: I’m thinking the best way to approach this would be once the “C-7” license is issued, you can apply to add the “C-10” classification to the license, you’ll have to sit for the exams, and once the Electrical is added to the license you can disassociate the Seller. As you likely know, you can perform “C-7” work with a “C-10” license.

Q: You helped me obtain my “C-15” (Flooring) and “C-54” (Tile) license a couple of years ago. Now, I am wanting to enter into a business venture with my supplier. He has a cabinet and tile store. Our thought is he would obtain a General Building (“B”) license under his name and then he can start offering installation services along with the material sales, and then sub-contract the tile/flooring jobs to me. We were thinking of forming a corporation or LLC together which would in turn own the store. Does anything about our plan raise any red flags from a licensing perspective?

A: Not that I can see from a licensing perspective. You didn’t specify if the store itself is a corporation, LLC, or if it’s a Sole Proprietorship. If the store is going to be signing contracts for the installation, the store itself needs to hold the license under whatever type of entity it is. I also recommend talking with a legal and tax expert to be safe.

While knowledge is power, knowing where to go for the answers is half the battle. Get expert assistance immediately when you call 866-443-0657, email, or write us at Capitol Services, Inc., 3609 Bradshaw Rd, Ste H, #343, Sacramento, CA 95827. Search past columns at